NOTE: Read why this site appears to be in plain text.

Customer Support: Product Support: Home Phone: Care Packages

Are you looking for product help for calling services? Please select the appropriate section below.

Care Packages

How Do I Submit a Claim?

After purchasing Phone Care or Complete Care, we can help you with:

  • Reporting a Replacement Request
  • Checking the status of a Replacement Request
  • Any other questions you may have

Call us at 513-565-CARE (2273) to submit a claim

Back to Top